The Challenge Continuing its policy of expansion, Twycross Zoo commenced construction of its new £7,000,000 Himalaya Visitor Welcome Centre in March 2009. Himalaya was designed to emerge naturally from the landscape, and the use of local sustainable materials, ground source heating and landscaping to attract biodiversity were considered fundamental to the development. Design and construction of Himalaya was entrusted to Kier Marriott Construction Ltd, through its Nottingham office. Various options were considered for the car parking, but bearing in mind that materials used on the previous car parking areas had not always been an unqualified success, the Gridforce ground reinforcement system was selected and approved. After a 12 month construction period, the Himalaya Centre opened to visitors in March 2010. Application: Parking for new visitors centre Location: Twycross Zoo, Leicestershire Installation Date: Early 2010 Client: Kier Marriott Construction Ltd (Nottingham) -appointed design and build contractor for Twycross Zoo. Gridforce Solution 2060m2 of Gridforce GF40 pavers in black, manufactured from 100% recycled plastic. Construction Details Base: 300mm of crushed stone on a layer of geotextile Blinding Layer: 20mm of coarse grid sand Surface material: Gridforce GF40 pavers (unit size 500x500x40mm but delivered pre-connected in 1m2 = 4 pavers per panel). Pavers filled with 10mm angular granite. Client Benefits
- Gridforce units weigh only 1.4kg each (5.6kg/m2), well within safe manual handling limits
- Gridforce is manufactured from 100% recycled plastic
- Gridforce’s patented lug and slot connection aids line and level accuracy and facilitates fast installation
- Local materials used in construction of the car park base and stone used in filling Gridforce
- Permeable surface means no drainage infrastructure required and no storm water run off issues
- Rainwater returned to the water table, ensuring no further burden on existing sewer system and alleviating risk of flooding
- Carl Ellis of Melfort Construction commented that ‘the pavers were easy to lay, enabling us to complete installation on time. We were also very pleased with the level of support on site from the Gridforce representative and I know that Twycross Zoo are very happy with the appearance of the car parking area’.